If you can smell gas, you should immediately phone the National Gas Emergency Service number on 0800 111 999.


Please follow the advice below:


  • Don’t switch any lights on
  • Open all doors and windows to ventilate the property
  • Don’t light any sort of flame or use appliances that cause a spark inside your home
  • Turn off the gas at the 'mains tap' which is usually located near the gas meter and has a handle that can be turned 90 degrees. If the gas leak is in a cellar or basement, do not enter and instead leave the property.